Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Waitress (2007)

Release Date:
25 May 2007 (USA)

Director:
Adrienne Shelly

Cast:
Keri Russell
Nathan Fillion
Cheryl Hines
Andy Griffith

IMDb link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473308/

Stephen:
8
(viewed 3 Jan 2008) This was a wonderful film, benevolent and uplifting. I loved Nathan Fillion already (from Firefly), and his performance as the somewhat clumsy lover did not disappoint. But the real surprise for me was Keri Russell, who I had never really seen before. She has such a serious face that her infrequent smiles really count.

The poignant interaction between the three waitresses grasping for a little bit of life in an otherwise dreary existence reminded a little of Vénus beauté (institut), (at least, I think it does – I’d have to re-watch that movie to be sure).

Lynne:
8
(viewed 3 Jan 2008) After reading Stephen’s review, it has just struck me that part of the beauty of this movie is that it is so like a little foreign film. Except for the Ride of the Valkyries which was judiciously used, the movie lacked a noticeable sound track, allowing the simplicity of the personal interactions to slowly flow over the watcher and carry the action. The portrayal of the friendship between the waitresses was as flawless as the oppression within the marriage was merciless. Always a sucker for a happy ending, I was satisfied, though my joy was offset. Keri Russell was wonderful.


Action Items:
Maybe we should check out Felicity, the television series.

No comments: